Pages

Tip of the Day: ROKU

So we've been a TV free family for quite some time.  AND I LOVE IT!  But there have been a few things that we have wished we had TV for (mostly church and sports).

So we recently got a ROKU.
Normally we don't endorse specific products or brands here, but this is one thing my family loves.

ROKU (if you've never heard of it) is a little device that sits next to your TV and uses your wifi to stream TV programs from the internet.  It costs about $60-$80 to buy, but is free to use forever.

What I love best is that you have to specifically choose a show to watch.  There is no channel surfing or flipping from one station to another.  You can't mindlessly turn on the tv and sit there for hours switching from one program to the next.  You open a station, you choose a show, you choose an episode, you wait for it to load, and you watch it.  It is so much more intentional and so much less mindless.

I also love that my kids can't stumble onto "bad" stations.  They know exactly which icon will open up PBS Kids.  They click on it, and every show available there is safe and kid friendly.  So far my kids have only even discovered three channels.  BYU-TV, PBS Kids, and Disney Channel.  I personally hate Disney sit-coms, so I will be locking-out that channel when the kids aren't looking.  But the other two channels are nothing but church and educational programming.  It's awesome!

My husband gets his sports and history channel when he needs it, but it's not a constant presence in our house.

So if you are looking for a cable alternative, I totally recommend ROKU.  It's TV (which I hate) with limits (which I love!).

Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment