Pages

Tip of the Day: One Time = Everytime


Apparently Marcia's kids get soda. :)


There's a rule I try to live by when it comes to giving in to my kids: If I'm not willing to do it EVERY time, then I try not to do it even just ONE time.

This rule can apply to everything from getting out of bed at night to getting a treat at the grocery store.  Kids learn through experience, and once you set a precedent of giving in to their demands, they will continue making those demands.  If you stop for ice cream on the way home from swim lessons, they will ask to stop for ice cream every day on the way home from swim lessons.

Here's one small example:
Sometimes (but not often) we go to a fast food restaurant to eat.  We NEVER get drinks.  Everyone drinks water.  And guess what... my kids don't even ask for drinks.  I never buy them soda, so they know not to expect it.

And one more:
We also have a homework-before-friends rule.  You do your homework before you play with your friends.  It's simple.  However, every single spring, there comes along one magical, beautiful, warm afternoon when I actually send my kids outside to play because it's finally not freezing out.  And, you guessed it, every single afternoon for at least a month after that day, my kids are asking to play before doing their homework.  I bet you even know what they're saying: "Please?  Pleeeease?  But you let us that one time!"

If it's not a habit you want to get into or a behavior you plan to repeat, then don't even start.  Being firm and consistent the first time will help you avoid a lot of battles down the road.


Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment