Pages

Judge Not

What would you say if a kid came up to your child on the playground and said, "Why are you wearing those shoes?  They are old and ugly.  Mine are much cooler and more expensive than yours."

Would you be mad?  Of course.

What if you were at a party and a friend came up to you and whispered, "Look at Kate's dress.  It's the same one she wore to last year's party.  Gross."

Would you agree and join in the mocking?  Of course not.


As mature adults, most of us have graduated from middle school and no longer judge the value of another person based on the clothes they wear or the things they own.  Right?

Have you ever looked at someone's new car and wondered, "How can they afford that?  I bet they are up to their eyeballs in unsustainable house or car payments."  Or have you seen a teenager with the latest and greatest electronic iThing and thought, "Wow, he's obviously spoiled by his parents"? 

I confess.  I do.  But I shouldn't.  And neither should you.

Reality check: when you (or I)  judge people who have nice stuff, or new stuff, or bigger stuff, you are just as big a punk at the person who judges someone else for having less stuff or old stuff.

How you spend your money is your business.  How other people spend their money is not your business.


Marcia

My spoiled little princesses.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I totally agree. I just have one nagging thought which is: does this have anything I do with my last comment in RS? Because let me just say I was pressed for time and didn't articulate well! I hate when that happens! I agree it isn't our place to judge; what's right for one family isn't right for another and my examples were not intended to be concrete. Ok, I feel better now that I said that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not Rebecca! This is just my guilty conscience speaking out on a subject I know I mess up on a lot. :)

      Delete