Pages

Mother's Day Apron or Wall Hanging (Another Hint: Mother's Day is May 11th!)

This apron is actually one that my mom made for my grandma, many, many years ago, with her grandkids' handprints on it.  See that tiny yellow hand down there?  That's my hand.


 


So my mom actually SEWED this apron, and then appliqued the handprints onto it.  If I were doing this on an apron, I would buy a $3 apron at a craft store.  But I'm lazier than she was...

When I made this wallhanging for my husband's mom (for Christmas more than 12 years ago, as you can see), I bought a $3 wooden embroidery hoop, stitched the handprints onto a larger piece of fabric, stuck it into the frame and then hot-glued a ruffle around the edge.



Once you have an apron, all you need are the handprints, which are super easy.

Materials required:
Scraps of fabric big enough to trace your kids' hands on
Two-sided iron-on Pellon (ask for it at your fabric store if you don't know what this is)
Sewing machine and matching thread

1. Trace your kids' handprints on regular paper (you could skip this step if you're sure you won't mess up... which is why I always do this step...

2. Cut them out, and trace around them onto the paper side of your Pellon.

3. Don't cut them out - iron them onto your scraps of fabric.

4. Cut out the handprints - you'll be cutting through paper and fabric at the same time.

5. Peel the paper off, and arrange on your apron.

6. Iron the handprints onto the apron.

7. Use your sewing machine to zig-zag around the handprints.

8a. If you're my mom, hand-embroider your kids' names onto the hands.

That says "Katie" :)
 
 
8b. If you're me, write the names with a Sharpie marker.
 
 
 
Done!

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment